Welcome Back to the Museum!
Visitors and staff (age two plus) are required to wear a face mask and respect social distancing. Exceptions apply (see below).
A new rigorous cleaning routine is in effect. High-touch areas will be cleaned more regularly. Hand sanitizer is available for our visitors throughout the museum.
We've Missed You
We're excited to have reopened our doors. Rediscover the magic of dinosaurs, the majesty of a blue whale, the mysteries of the Arctic, and the amazing diversity of mammals and birds—all here at your national natural-history museum.
Because of precautions around COVID-19, we've made some changes, following the advice and requirements of public-health authorities. We appreciate your understanding in adapting to these conditions, which help ensure a safe and healthy visit.
Proof of Vaccination for Eating Inside
Proof of vaccination is required for those aged 12 and older to access the eating area inside the museum.
You can show either of the following as proof:
- A vaccination certificate and identification that has your name and date of birth
- A vaccination passport (vaccination passports will be available in Ontario as of October 22).
Proof of vaccination is not required to visit the rest of the museum.
Before You Visit
- Please read our Terms for Visiting about safe practices.
- If you feel ill, are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or have travelled outside the country in the past 14 days, please stay home.
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, online.
- Admission is time-ticketed. Entry times are spaced in 15-minute increments.
- Arrive at the museum no earlier than 10 minutes before the entry time on your ticket.
- Download a floor plan (PDF). Printed plans are not available on site.
What You Can Expect During Your Visit
Video: Welcome Back
Watch our video as another way to find out what to expect during your visit.
Health and Safety
A mask covering the face, nose and chin must be worn by all staff and visitors, including children age two and older. Exceptions (proof is not required):
- children under two years old
- people who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons
- those who require accommodations in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Respect physical distancing (2-metre separation) for those not in your social bubble.
- A "social bubble" is defined as members of the same household or a pre-existing social bubble, to a maximum of six people.
- Hand sanitizers are placed throughout the museum.
- The frequency of rigorous cleaning has been increased across the museum.
- Proof of vaccination is required for those aged 12 and older to access the eating area inside the museum (see above for details).
Moving Around the Museum
- To ensure physical distancing and to avoid congestion, follow the path marked by arrows on the floor.
- You will follow one-way traffic up one side of the museum and down the other.
- Space on elevators is limited, so we encourage use of stairs as much as possible.
- All of our permanent galleries are open.
- High-touch areas are closed for now. These include the Bird Care Clinic (Bird Gallery) and the Extinction Theatre (Fossil Gallery).
- Some hands-on interactives in galleries will not be accessible.
- The theatre is closed.
- The live butterflies exhibition is closed for the foreseeable future.
Food and Refreshments
- You may bring a water bottle. We have a bottle-refill water station. Water fountains are turned off.
- Food and drink may be consumed inside the designated indoor and outdoor eating areas.
- Proof of vaccination is required to access the eating area inside (see above for details).
- Nature Café is closed, but vending machines will offer beverages, snacks and quick food options.
- Strollers are not available for loan at this time.
- Wheelchairs are available by request.
- Personal strollers are permitted, but we encourage you to park your stroller in the designated zone upon entry and walk with children and toddlers when possible in order to avoid the wait for the elevator.
- The museum has unsupervised racks where you can hang your coat.
- Lockers and ATM kiosks (bank machines) are not available at this time.
Information for Members
- Members are required to reserve tickets online before visiting. You must get your tickets in advance.
- On Thursdays and Sundays, a special time slot from 10 am to 11 am is reserved exclusively for members.
- Proof of membership will be required at the time of entry.
- About membership.
In order to fully access some of the content on this page, you may need to download the following: