Research and Collections Facility
- Event – Self-guided tour; hands on; conversation
- Generally suitable for children aged 5 and older.
Location: 1740 Pink Road, Gatineau (Aylmer sector), Quebec
Don't miss this once-a-year opportunity to explore the museum's research and collections facility in Gatineau, Quebec.
Floor plan (PDF).
Discover the impressive national collections of plants, animals, fossils and minerals, which are housed in an area equivalent to five hockey rinks!
See some of our 14.6 million natural-history specimens and artifacts, and meet leading science experts who curate and study them.
New this year! Visit the recently opened National Biodiversity Cryobank of Canada. This facility preserves tissue samples and genetic material in super-cooled freezers.
Among other highlights:
- see meteorites, dinosaur bones, Ice-Age animals and other fossil treasures
- roam through our herbarium, with plants of all kinds pressed and preserved for study
- marvel at the wall of antlers, whale bones and skeletons of animals in our large skeleton room
- learn how dinosaur fossils are prepared for study and display
- get up-close to crustaceans, mussels and clams, and tiny insects
- visit our X-Ray Lab and Heavy Wet Lab
- be inspired by the contribution of women scientists
- see special displays from the Bank of Canada Museum, the Geological Survey of Canada and the Students on Ice Foundation.
Photos are permitted. Tripods and additional lights are not permitted.
Tours are self-guided.
Reservations: Not required.
- 1740 Pink Road, Gatineau (Aylmer sector), Quebec
- Google map.
Parking: Free; on-site and in the neighbourhood.
- catering by Gourmet Cuisine
- cash only.
For conservation reasons, please leave large backpacks, food and beverages in your car.
Saturday, October 13
10 am – 4 pm
In order to fully access some of the content on this page, you may need to download the following: