Café Scientifique and Documentary—March
Can We Protect the Web of Life in Our Oceans?
- Event – Facilitated discussion, HD documentary, dessert, cash bar
Join us for a stimulating evening! Listen to interesting speakers, watch a thought-provoking documentary, and participate in a dynamic discussion.
Reservations are required:
- Reservations are on a first come, first served basis
- When making your reservation, please indicate if you need a dairy-free or gluten-free dessert, or have food allergies.
- Please note: Tickets are non-refundable, but they are transferable to another party. Tickets may also be transferred to another date, with a minimum of 24 hours' advance notice.
Cost: $25; $20 for members, students, seniors and volunteers.
The Café scientifique discussion provides the opportunity to share different views on a specific question in a relaxed atmosphere.
Can we protect the web of life in our oceans?
- Marcel Babin, Ph.D., Canada Excellence Research Chair on the Arctic and Director of the International Joint Unit (UMI) between Laval University in Quebec City and France’s National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS)
- Michel Poulin, Ph.D., Research Scientist, Canadian Museum of Nature
In French with English sub-titles
Journey in to the depths of a wonderland filled with mystery, beauty and power.
This film is an unprecedented look at the lives of these elusive deep-water creatures. Incredible state-of-the-art-underwater filmmaking will take your breath away as you follow the whiplash turns of a shark, the speedy swimming of a swordfish and the gliding manta ray.
Filled with adventure, comedy and drama, Oceans is a fascinating, thought-provoking and unforgettable experience.
Directors: Jacques Cluzaud and Jacques Perrin
Producer: Jacques Perrin
Duration: 84 minutes.
Assistive Listening Devices are available at our reception desk for visitors with hearing loss.
Friday, March 30
6:30 pm – 7:00 pm: Doors open, cash bar
7:00 pm – 7:30 pm: Welcome, introductions, dessert, coffee, tea
7:30 pm – 9:00 pm: Documentary
9:00 pm – 9:30 pm: Guest speakers
9:30 pm – 10:00 pm: Café scientifique discussion
Thank you to Gifford Associates Insurance Brokers for supporting the Café scientifique series.
The Café scientifique on March 30 is presented in collaboration with the Office for Science and Technology of the French Embassy in Canada.